Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Hitting the Books in Beijing

I have to begin my first official blog post of the trip by thanking Professor Ryan for ensuring that the trip got off to such a good start. My class on Tuesday morning began with a discussion of the foundation of Supply Chain Management, and in the afternoon we had an excellent presentation about the high-speed rail system in China by Professor Zhao Jian. Professor Zhao analyzed the value of travel time savings that passengers would realize by using air travel over high-speed rail and concluded that high-speed rail is only preferable for medium-length travel instead of for some of the long-distance routes that the Chinese are building. Of course I found it interesting because the research was related to transportation, but I was happy to hear unsolicited praise coming from many of the students afterwards as well.

Today we covered two topics (Supply Chain Information Systems and Quality Control) in the morning, and we enjoyed a presentation about the role of Chinese culture in business relationships by Dr. Wang Li in the afternoon. She even showed us some clips of famous movies that illustrate some of the main differences between Chinese and Western cultures. In between all of these lectures (and writing their daily journal entries), many students have gone shopping at the famous Silk Street Market (eight floors of mercantile madness). Some have even gone two days in a row. Others decided that they needed a massage this afternoon after all of their shopping yesterday. (I refuse to think they needed one after my lectures!)

Everyone has been very busy over the past few days, but nothing has been too picture-worthy, so I'm going to skip out on the pictures today. After two lecture and problem-solving sessions with me tomorrow, the whole group is going out for dinner at the local TGIFriday's. I should have some good pictures to post from there!

Best,
Professor Drake

No comments:

Post a Comment